Additive Manufacturing for your medical technology business in Ireland Should our business be doing it and how can we start?
Additive Manufacturing for your medical technology business
The emergence of Advanced Manufacturing technologies, coupled with consumer requirements for cost effective solution for customised products and services, are causing shifts in the scale and distribution of manufacturing. By October 2016 over 85 medical devices manufactured by Additive manufacturing have received FDA approval. The Additive Manufacturing technologies used, and their capabilities is ever evolving and the integration into manufacturing processes is on the increase. It is a disruptive technology that has the potential to transform the industry by enabling innovation within the existing product manufacturing process to produce faster, cheaper and better products while the world of product development has been opened to new product possibilities.
Ireland is currently behind the curve on the integration of Additive Manufacturing into process manufacturing. However testament to the importance of this sector is the very recent announcement of the Henkel multi-million euro Additive facility in Dublin and Stryker’s centralised additive technology manufacturing hub in Cork.
This programme is designed to provide decision makers in the medical device sector with theoretical and practical information about Additive manufacturing (also known as 3D printing), what it is, what technologies are available and how it can it be integrated into new and/or existing manufacturing processes. The programme will include practical workshops in the purpose-built state of the art Additive Manufacturing centre at the National science park in Mullingar
The aim of the course is to introduce participants to the Fundamentals of Additive Manufacturing with specific focus on Medical Devices. It will provide them with an overview of the Technologies for both Polymer and Metal manufacturing and provide theoretical information and practical demonstrations on Manufacturing Scale Additive Manufacturing technology. The training will also focus on the practicality, advantages and implications of implementing Additive Technology in a Manufacturing Environment providing an overview of relevant case studies.
The Course will follow the following themes:
· Overview of Additive Manufacturing
· Specific Additive Manufacturing Technologies for both Polymer and Metal processing.
· Separate Workshops for Polymer and Metal manufacturing application and products
· Presentations from the Additive manufacturing process chain partners (AM Equipment manufacturer, Industry partners integrated AM manufacturing process, Software developer and Medical Doctor)
· Current Additive Market, its users and its worth
· Business Models for Additive Manufacturing, the benefits and the existing models
· Additive Manufacturing, Machine cost, part production and the cost of integration into the manufacturing process
· Additive Manufacturing in Ireland, worldwide current trends and its projected future
· Standards in Ireland and the EU
· Research Introduction to Bioprinting